Saturday, August 10, 2013

Homemade gluten free breadcrumbs

Gluten free bread is expensive, but gluten free breadcrumbs are ridiculously priced. I bought a standard sized container for $9.00 & they worked, but DANG, they were expensive!

As I was getting a new loaf of GF bread out of the freezer, I started to do what I always did, which was throw the heels (ends) of the bread away. Then I realized how simple it was. I put the heels in a ziplock bag & put them in the freezer. I just kept adding to that bag with every new loaf of bread. 


When I needed breadcrumbs for a recipe, I took a few pieces out & defrosted them in the microwave. Then you have 2 options, you can toast the pieces in the toaster, or, since I was doing several, you can put them in the oven under the broiler. I suggest broiling on high, several inches away from the burner. I keep a very close eye, toast them till brown, then flip over & toast the other side. You want the bread dry all the way through. Moist breadcrumbs don't work. 


I don't have a food processor (**hint hint hubby) so I used a blender & it worked fine. I only did 2 pieces of bread at a time. I broke them into chunks. I added granulated garlic & Italian seasoning, but that is optional. 


I used pulse until they were my desired consistency.


Easy breasy & practically free since I was going to throw the heels away anyway. 

By the way hubby, these would look marvelous in our kitchen :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment