Friday, May 3, 2013

Mama Mia! That was delicious!

Mama Mia Trattoria in downtown Portland was a favorite of mine pre-celiac. I was so happy to find they have a gluten free menu! Be sure to tell your server you are GF.

http://mamamiatrattoria.com/?openmenu=gluten-free-menu

Service is always top notch at Mama Mia. Their happy hour is amazing. I didn't look at their GF happy hour items tonight though. If you want to check it out, I would call ahead to find out your options.

Tonight I started with the house salad. Organic baby greens, shaved red onions, candied pecans & ricotta salata cheese tossed with balsamic vinaigrette. It was delicious!



For dinner I ordered the cioppino, which is is whitefish & shellfish in a slightly spicy broth. If you like seafood, I highly recommend this dish.


The cioppino came with a side of pasta.  They Do have a GF pasta option, but I love veggies and opted for a size of spinach.  It was spinach sauteed in olive oil and lots of fresh garlic. 



I didn't get a photo, but my husband got the CHICKEN SCALLOPINE PICCATA, which is on the GF menu also. My husband said his was delicious. The chicken was tender, perfectly cooked & the sauce amazing.

Tonight we were way too full for dessert, but we have sampled some of their deserts in the past. The homemade sorbet is fantastic. Our favorite is the pear sorbet.

Mama Mia changes their menu quarterly, so if you go once, it is worth going back. They also recently started serving weekend breakfast. I have had the Caprise Frittata and it was very good.

I do recommend reservations. We went on a Tuesday night & they were busy. If you go for happy hour, the bar is small...get there early before the dinner rush. (503) 295-6464

No comments:

Post a Comment