Thursday, April 4, 2013

Jeny's hearty potato casserole

Ok, really this should be Grandma Ginny's casserole. She gave me the base of the recipe as a side dish of potatoes, cream soup, sour cream & cheese. I adapted it into a main course, and then again GF.



It originally called for Campbell's cream of asparagus & potato soups, but they are loaded with wheat.

Again, I make massive amounts of food, but as you will see in the last photo, 3 teenage boys do a lot of damage! I was hoping this would make dinner for 2 nights. :-/ You can use whatever meat you want, but I always make this after Easter to use up all the leftover ham. I have also used crumbled bacon.

1 cup Bear Creek Cheddar Broccoli soup mix
3 cups milk
2 packages frozen shred hash browns thawed (Safeway brand is GF)
1 24oz container sour cream
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 cups broccoli cut small (fresh or frozen)
1 bunch green onions diced (inc green)
1 lb cooked meat of your choice cut small
Garlic to your hearts desire
Salt & pepper to taste




Boil 3 cups of milk & add 1 cup soup mix. Whisk to blend. It only takes a couple of minutes to thicken up. This is not the recipe on the package. I cooked it this way to be the consistency of a couple of cans of cream soups with milk. 



Place your thawed hash browns in a huge bowl. I mean huge! Add soup & toss really well. I use my trusty ikea salad spoons or you could use a couple of pasta spoons. 



Add all other ingredients 1 at a time, mixing after each ingredient. Transfer into an oversized casserole dish & pat it down to pack it all in there. 



Cook at 400° for 40 minutes. My family likes to add Frank's RedHot (I put that **** on everything!)

Major comfort food, very hearty and super easy. I did quickly pack the little bit of leftovers into individual servings to take in my lunches.






No comments:

Post a Comment