Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chicken Satay with homemade peanut sauce and curry vegetables

As usual I make huge batches so you can cut that down. Feel free to adjust to your family's preferences. This feeds 4-6 (depending on how many are teenage boys)

5 lbs boneless skinless breasts cut into skewer size chunks. Rub with olive oil & season with salt, cumin & Penzey's Sate seasoning. Put in zip bag to marinate 3+ hours (I did 7) 

Soak bamboo skewers in water with lime juice. You have to soak them if you BBQ them so they don't catch fire. Soak them at least 15 minutes. BBQ or Traeger skewers till cooked.

Peanut sauce to go with satay:

1 can regular coconut milk
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 cup chunky peanut butter
7 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons fish sauce

Spoon the cream off the top of the can of coconut milk into a large saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until the cream softens and becomes liquid. Add the red curry paste and when you can smell the curry, turn down the heat to medium and add the rest of the coconut milk. Add the peanut butter and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute. Turn the heat to low and add the brown sugar and stir until blended. Remove from heat and stir in the fish sauce. Serve room temp or slightly warmer.  Next time I will spice this up a little with some cayanne pepper.


Veggies
5 diced sweet potatoes (or reg potatoes, I uses sweet because they are a complex carb & better for my diabetic husband)

10 cups fresh spinach (it seems like a lot, but shrinks to nothing)

2-3 jar GF curry sauce. I used Sharwood's red curry sauce, but you could use green or yellow too. Of course check the label to make sure it is GF. The amount of bottles depends how saucy you want it. I used two and the potatoes were fairly dry but had the curry flavor. I am sure I could make my own curry sauce, but I am taking baby steps into cooking. 

I added a couple of tbsp olive oil in an XL large skillet & wilted the spinach. Then I added diced potatoes & simmered in sauce 15-20 minutes until potatoes were soft.

You can add rice, but was super filling without.

No comments:

Post a Comment