Monday, March 18, 2013

Salsa Madness

H

Salsa madness!


It's hard to give you any real directions on salsa. Here are my ingredients
 


Roma Tomatoes halved or Tomatillos peeled, washed and halved
Sweet Onions cut into sections
Jalapeños sliced
Lots of fresh cilantro
Fresh lime for lime juice
Salt

You can use a small chopper or a food processor. I like using my small chopper because it is easier to taste and make adjustments as you go along.

For the verde (green) salsa: husk the tomatillos, wash them, cut in half & place face down on a foil lined baking sheet. Put under broiler for 5-7 minutes.

Everything else you just adjust by taste. The reason you use Roma tomatoes over other varieties, is that they are less juicy.  No one likes watery salsa!  I wait till the end to add salt & lime juice. 

Serve with GF chips.  Our favorite is Juanita's



A hint I have from my salsa making experiences is to wear gloves when cutting jalapeños. You can get major finger burn from the capsaicin...not to mention accidentally rubbing your eyes. I especially have that problem, because I have long nails, so I don't get all of the capsaicin from under my nails. I often find the next day that my fingers feel like they are on fire. Gloves are always a good option, but in a pinch, I simply use a zip lock bag over my hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment