Monday, March 18, 2013

Crock Pot Pork Carnitas

This is a family favorite.  I always make double what I think I will need.  My family loves to pour BBQ sauce over the leftover pork and make pulled pork sandwiches.

It is a good meal to make when you have a dinner party, because there isn't a lot of effort when meal time comes around, so more time for me to socialize.  I always prep this the night before, so in the morning, I can just turn the crock pot on and go.


 

 I used the recipe on this website (photos are my own)
http://www.handletheheat.com/2013/02/slow-cooker-pork-carnitas.html

Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless pork shoulder
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 orange
1/4 cup salsa
Tortillas, cilantro, avocado, limes, shredded cabbage etc. for serving

 

 

 

 

 

 

Directions:

Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Add the garlic, onion, and jalapeno to the slow cooker. Pour the lime juice, orange juice, and salsa into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until tender.
Shred the meat with two forks and return to slow cooker to combine with the leftover sauce inside.
Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the meat evenly over the sheet. Pour some of the sauce over the meat. Broil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the edges of the pork are browned.

I found the best gadget for shredding meat.  They are called Bear Paws.  I won't lie, I kind of feel like Wolverine when I use them.  You can find them on Amazon.


Don't forget to add homemade salsa and guac to your meal.  Here is my post about homemade salsa: Salsa Madness
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment